Exhibits

  • A Caroling We Will Go-A History of Christmas Carols.

    Christmas-Tree

    The Newburgh Museum has opened its newest Christmas exhibit just in time for the Holidays.

    This Christmas exhibit will be open until Dec 31, 2017. The Newburgh Museum is open on Fridays from 11-3, Saturdays from 10-4 and Sundays from 1-4 during the holiday season.
    The exhibit features an interpretation of 5 famous Christmas Carols and includes a frosty outdoor turn-of-the century scene with carolers in period attire, as well as a late 1800’s family parlor Christmas scene complete with a feather tree adorned with antique ornaments. Also included in the Christmas exhibit is a Snowman exhibit featuring snowmen from the early 1900’s to 1990’s and a display of Newburgh’s own Engles Pottery which operated in Newburgh in the 1940’s. The permanent exhibits depict Newburgh’s history from its founding in 1803 and include original artifacts which are on display. Free admission with donations accepted. Memberships available. Call 812-853-5045 for more information or to schedule a group tour. The Newburgh Museum is located on State Street in Preservation Hall. Hours of operation are Friday and Saturday 11-3:00. Groups are always welcome and to an appointment call 812-853-5045.

Permanent Exhibits

The permanent displays at the museum tell visitors about the town’s history through four different eras. They include information about the town’s founding, how it got its name, its early industry, a period of decline, and how it has changed in modern times. Displays include items from long-demolished school buildings, one of Newburgh’s first pianos, menus from old restaurants, and more.

  • Display discussing Newburgh’s heyday (1850-1870)
  • The ticket window and Louisville and Nashville calendar are almost identical to what is seen in a vintage photograph of Newburgh’s E&OV depot
    The ticket window and Louisville and Nashville calendar are almost identical to what is seen in a vintage photograph of Newburgh’s E&OV depot
  • An exterior picture of the E&OV depot is part of a permanent display at the Newburgh Museum. The depot operated from 1908 to 1938. It is not clear when the wooden building was torn down.
    An exterior picture of the E&OV depot is part of a permanent display at the Newburgh Museum. The depot operated from 1908 to 1938.