Kuebler’s Garden: A Day in the Park
Welcome to our latest exhibit “Kuebler’s Garden: A Day in the Park.” Here you see a family, Geoffrey, Stella and children enjoying a day in the park at Kuebler’s Garden. Kuebler’s Garden owned and operated multiple businesses during the turn of the century era located in the Jefferson Park/Lou Dennis Park area in the town of Newburgh. Mr. Kuebler had 15 acres planted in a variety of grapes and made his own wine which he sold at his restaurant and sold bottles of wine as people came to enjoy his Dance Hall in the south wing of the House where Newburgh bands would play. (See picture below). He built a tower in the garden to guard against theives. Mr. Kuebler owned the second largest tannery in the state employing 40 men who worked on site where hides, bridles, saddle parts and other leather goods were sold. For pleasure he also operated a horse race track and a baseball team. He truly was a great entrepreneurial.
Come in and visit this popular exhibit showcased through June 8th.
A Caroling We Will Go-A History of Christmas Carols.The Newburgh Museum has opened its newest Christmas exhibit just in time for the Holidays.
This Christmas exhibit will be open until Dec 31, 2017. The Newburgh Museum is open on Fridays from 11-3, Saturdays from 10-4 and Sundays from 1-4 during the holiday season.
The exhibit features an interpretation of 5 famous Christmas Carols and includes a frosty outdoor turn-of-the century scene with carolers in period attire, as well as a late 1800’s family parlor Christmas scene complete with a feather tree adorned with antique ornaments. Also included in the Christmas exhibit is a Snowman exhibit featuring snowmen from the early 1900’s to 1990’s and a display of Newburgh’s own Engles Pottery which operated in Newburgh in the 1940’s. The permanent exhibits depict Newburgh’s history from its founding in 1803 and include original artifacts which are on display. Free admission with donations accepted. Memberships available. Call 812-853-5045 for more information or to schedule a group tour. The Newburgh Museum is located on State Street in Preservation Hall. Hours of operation are Friday and Saturday 11-3:00. Groups are always welcome and to an appointment call 812-853-5045.
The permanent displays at the museum tell visitors about the town’s history through four different eras. They include information about the town’s founding, how it got its name, its early industry, a period of decline, and how it has changed in modern times. Displays include items from long-demolished school buildings, one of Newburgh’s first pianos, menus from old restaurants, and more.