101 E. Jennings St.
This six-unit condo building is located in what used to be the Newburgh United Methodist Church. The original Methodist Episcopal church was built in 1845 and torn down in 1925. A new brick structure still stands today rebuilt on “Methodist Hill.”
The church moved in 1972 and thereafter the building had a series of owners including the Newburgh Jaycees, a group of businesspeople who used the church as a clubhouse. Then in 1979, George “Butch” Corne bought the building and transformed the interior into the Sprinklesburg Manor. Well-known river rat Carl Riecken bought the property in 1993, and he and his wife Linda added more extensive renovations. Scott and Sharon Mosley bought the primary condo (3,850 sq ft) in 2008, and it was re-sold again to two physicians in 2014.
The stained-glass window over the front door is from the 1925 church and frames the elegant entrance to the home through a courtyard garden on East Jennings Street. The first floor of the condo has new hardwood floors. The kitchen has also been totally renovated with new stainless appliances, granite counter tops and handcrafted Amish cabinets.
The spiral staircase that leads to the upstairs was hand carved by a local craftsman who incorporated the original banister from the church as well as several copper balustrades salvaged from a bank in Indianapolis. The upstairs sitting room and bedroom features a wonderful oak bar with some of the original stained glass from the church.
- Mosley, Sharon. “River Wonderland.” Evansville Living. January/February 2012.
- Young, Jennifer. “Newburgh church turned home comes alive at Christmas.” Evansville Courier & Press. November 18, 2013.